And then, like the idiot I am, I decided to voice this, out loud. "Haven't I been here before?" Dumb. Like Stupid would know the answer.
"Wait, you've been here before?" Scott asked, looking troubled. My point exactly. Hadn't I just asked myself that?
"I don't know. I think so. . . Oh, maybe not." Just then, something whizzed by my ear. Freaking, I swatted at whatever it was. The thing buzzed angrily, then zoomed over to Scott. My jaw dropped when I saw what it was.
It was a pure black dragonfly. Like a shadow. Literally. I couldn't see any details, like where it's wings connected to its body, or anything. And it was impossible to see through its wings, like you normally should be able to. And the creepiest part was--you guessed it--it had yellow eyes. Dull yellow, like Scott's.
But, hold on, I haven't even gotten to the best part, yet. One minute, Mr. Angry-Bug is buzzing furiously by Scott's shoulder, seemingly glaring at me, and the next, a Goth-looking girl is standing there, arms crossed, next to Scott, really glaring at me.
I stumbled back with a yelp of surprise.
She raised a slim finger, and shook it at me, as if I were a child. "Never swat at me again, Shorty, or you will regret it," she spat venomously. But then, just like that, the look on her face shifted to one of recognition. "Hey, I remember you," she exclaimed. "I saw you over by Wayland Hold, a couple days ago!" Then, she turned to Scott. "This is the chick I was telling you about!" Her gaze flickered to me, then back to Scott. "The one with the blue eyes," she whispered excitedly, but not very quietly.
"What's the matter with my blue eyes?" I demanded, putting my hands on my hips.
Scott flashed me another apologetic look. "Well. . . They're blue." He then pointed to his own eyes.
"Thank you very much, Captain Obvious. My turn. Your eyes are yellow. Point?"
Goth Girl, next to him, practically bouncing off the ground, piped up. "Your eyes are blue. Means you're alive. Our's are yellow." She widened her eyes, apparently proving her point.
"So then. . . You guys are dead?"
Scott quickly waved a hand dismissively. "Not exactly. You see. . . We--ah--er. . . Um. . ." He stopped, slapping a hand to his forehead. "This is gonna take awhile," he muttered, shaking his head.
~*~*~*~
© B. J. Robertson
Hey, sorry, guys, really short post, I know. But I have some work to do outside (mowing the lawn...ew) so, this was all I could work up, at the moment. But don't worry. There will be more soon. Peace out.
P.S. If you're just joining us, please go back and read the beginning. You'll have to start at the bottom posts, and go up, if that makes sense. Enjoy!
No comments:
Post a Comment